Sunday, February 25, 2007

This makes me sound like an ET chaser… great.

Ok I have been thinking lately. In science we have been watching these movies on whether or not there is “intelligent” life like us out there in the universe. It goes through all these reasons why there could be and why there couldn’t be life out there. All of their reasons make sense, but even before seeing that video I always sort of assumed that there was something else out there. I mean, the universe is huge! Earth is tiny compared to our sun, our sun is tiny compared to our galaxy, and even then there are hundreds of billions of galaxy clusters scattered throughout the universe. In my mind, there is no way that we are the only ones that exist in the huge inter workings of it all! There is tons of space out there, how can we be the only dot of life existing in the universe?

There is no way to prove it of course. We have never ACTUALLY seen life from other planets, but who’s to say that it makes it impossible? I realize that we ourselves are only beginning to consider travel to Mars, a planet only a few thousand miles away from us. In a few centuries, if at all, may we even be able to send humans to another star. And we say “well, if there is life out there at all, then they would have visited us by now.” I don’t think so; I think that they probably just having as much trouble getting to our planet as we are to theirs. If there are planets close enough to us who have life, have the resources to make some sort of spaceship, and even care enough to wonder if we exist, then maybe one day we will meet them. But so far we are doing a pretty lousy job of creating the sort of “war of the worlds” simulation for other planets that we so often dream will happen to our own; we have yet to attack another planet. Since we cannot leave our planet and “invade” theirs, they probably can’t do the same to us.

I am not trying to prove anything; there is no way to know for sure that there is life besides us. But there are slim chances that we are the only ones out there. Whatever way you want to look at it… if you believe that God made us and we are the one and only then that’s your view, and if you think that God made multiple planets then that can be your view. If you believe that we were one of the lucky few whose planet came to support life then you can have that view. There is no right answer. My view just happens to be that there must be more than us in the universe, that’s all I’m trying to say. There is too much space out there to have us be the one speck of life that exists.

No comments: