Ok so it's been a LONG time since i've written in here. I'm writing not only to prove to certain people that I really havn't abandoned my blog, but also because I have something I just need to put out there because its been bugging me lately.
Ever noticed how school is based off the principal concept of putting a grade to a persons name? I've been thinking about that a lot lately. Why are we rated on our intelligence level? Thats all the grade is, a rating. Sure it may be a "score" given on the correctness of an assignment you were given, but how can it grade us for real?
I've become friends with one girl in particular to whom this concept has hurt. She is the sweetest, nicest girl who tries the very hardest in everything she does to get the top grade, to get an A or even a B. Still, her grades don't show her effort. Let me tell you, her bad grades arren't from lack of effort, and i'm NOT calling her stupid. It's just that the problems are more than her mind can handle, the concepts and formulas don't register to her as quickly as everyone else.
Now, picture yourself, this smart person in honors classes, most likely in line for scholarships and in special clubs because of your inteligence (such as Honors society or Science Olympiad, hey im not excluding myself here) Why are you getting the lucky break of free college and bennefits? My friend doesn't have a chance at a scholarship, but she works harder than i've ever had to in school.
Let me briefly mention gym class. Our GPA depends on the average of our grades, and many GPA's are ruined because of the lack of athletic ability in one class. May I ask why we are graded for athletic ability? Sometimes we give all we can and it isn't enough for that A.
Is this fair?!? Should our successfulness in life be rated on our intelligence? There are so many more ways to succeed, not only in college but in life in general, without being smart. Tell me your opinion.
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I totally agree with you. It seems that people do judge others on their grades! It's just not fair to that person!
That's a good question...I think we should get a better judgment scale...somehow.
Post a Comment