Thursday, May 24, 2007

Book of memories

It’s now the end of the year, and on a day where I had some spare time I looked back at my old blog posts to see what I had written. Well, it was an interesting experience. In some of my posts I saw a silly girl who had too much sugar in her system. In some I saw a tired teenager who was writing a last minute blog at 11:00 Sunday night. In some I saw myself exhausted of topics and writing on something I didn’t care about one bit. Yet, in some of them, I saw wisdom I didn’t know I had. I have to say I was impressed, I had completely forgotten some of the stuff I wrote back then and then it pops up again months later, and I learned from it. I also learned what I look like when I’m tired, bored, and hyper. That was also a learning experience (but I won’t elaborate).

My curiosity sparked by this odd encounter with my past self, I started reading back through entries in my English journal and my personal journal. Wow! Again I surprised myself with bits of knowledge I happened to put down during a writing assignment or while writing in my journal at night. I never realized that I had so much to say, and that some of it was so deep. Truthfully, it was sort of eerie to be reading my old entries and being impressed with what they said, I mean, who admires their own logic?!? I guess I do now.

One noticeably common attribute of all the “records” was my voice. At the beginning of the school year it was fairly, well, dull. There was no spirit in it; it was only me writing down what I thought. No examples of my point, no exclamations of opinion, no nothing. It was just my outer shell showing in my work. As the year progressed, however, they became increasingly interesting (this is only my opinion). In the beginning it was a tidbit of what I REALLY felt about my chosen topic, then it progressed to me bravely making a statement that (heaven forbid) someone may disagree with. Finally, in the more recent ones, they finally were WORTH READING! They were actually filled with a voice which no longer belonged to a repetitive robot!

What I mean by this is that since the beginning of the year my writing voice seems to have taken on a rather, um… sarcastic but interesting tone. I don’t know if this is good or bad but I know it’s better than the timid thing it was in the beginning. I guess that writing every week really does improve your writing.

I can honestly say that I am glad I kept all those journals and wrote in my blog all this time, reading back brought back so many memories I had forgotten, and it was fun to read my old opinions (silly or insightful). This is why I advise you to pull out your journal from the depths of your closet and start to write in it again (I did this last night for the first time in months) and never, ever throw away a journal or forget about your blogs. I’m positive you will value them someday.

No comments: