Sunday, January 14, 2007

Respect

I was thinking not to long ago about what causes most of the problems between people. As far as I can figure out, excluding wars, almost every disagreement between two people is caused by lack of respect for each other. I mean think about it, if you and your parents do not get along it is probably because you think they are wrong and therefore disobey them a lot. Your parents also don’t have much respect for you, for each time you disobey them they trust you less and less and see themselves more and more as the one in charge of you, this almost always means that they don’t respect you.

If there is a quarrel between friends it is because they don’t respect each other enough to view each others ideas as anything important, or they don’t care about them enough to respect their image in front of other people so they gossip and say bad stuff about them.

Say that someone doesn’t complete a task they were assigned at work. It is probably because they don’t view the project as important or urgent because they don’t care what their boss thinks about them.

Here is something that happened to some people I know: They owned a duplex and the people occupying one of their apartments had zero respect for their landlords. In the six months they stayed in the apartment they did not once pay their rent on time, they kicked five holes in the walls, they broke a window and the door, and then moved out without paying a penny towards repairs. This caused a huge conflict between the renters and the landlords which all could have been avoided had they shown any respect for the landlords or the house they were occupying.

I am sure that there are more examples, but my point is that there is more to stop having conflicts between each other than merely not fighting, if we would respect each other than I think almost all problems between us could stop.

The way to do this is harder than it seems. To some this may be easy, but to others it is the scariest thing in the world. In order to stop conflicts between parents and teachers, we have to admit that most of the time they are probably right. You sluff class, Mrs. Hall Nazi catches you. Well frankly, there is hardly a chance anybody is going to believe you when you say that you are doing nothing wrong, and if you complain that you got twenty points there is really no point to doing so. In reality I don’t think anybody besides the friends that sluffed with you are going to give you an ounce of sympathy. You can say that the teachers aren’t fair as much as you want, but the more you think like that the more you are going get in more trouble and it is all because you are trapped in the silly mind frame that teachers are not justified in giving you disciplinary points, and if you are one of these people then it is obvious that most of your problems at school are caused by your own lack of respect.

I could go on but let me leave you with this, if you have a lot of problems with other people and can’t seem to get along with anyone then try looking at your view of the people around you. I am not perfect but I know that I get along with people so much better if I respect them. If you find that you look at most people as idiots then you probably need to switch your view. It will make your life tons less stressful.

No comments: