Sunday, December 10, 2006

Promises promises...

Everybody loves a person who keeps their promises, but is there anybody who honestly can say that they keep EVERY one of their promises? I don’t think so. We all would like to, but it is impossible unless you are a superhuman. Everybody is human, so we all forget about things that we promised someone else we would do; we accidentally are late for a dinner we promised a friend we would be on time to; sometimes we even purposely break a promise. Wouldn’t it be great if everybody kept all of their promises? Actually it would not be, we would have no free will and our lives would be ruled by the things we told each other we would do. There would be no “I actually don’t feel like going to work today, I will take a sick day.” No, that would not happen, we would have to go to work because when we took the job we told our boss we would come in every day unless we were deathly ill. I think the world is actually better because every now and then we don’t keep our promises.

One example of what I am saying is in politics. I think most of us know that there is hardly a politician out there that keeps EVERY SINGLE PROMSE that he makes while running for office, they might be able to keep most of them, but not all of them. They can say that they will keep us completely safe from terrorism. That would be nice, but it is a really hard promise to keep. Now, nobody wants to be killed by terrorists, but I’m saying that if we were 100% safe from them then we would be in trouble if one somehow snuck in, we would not know what to do or how to handle the situation if that happened. Do not think that would ever, ever want a terrorist to attack us, and I would love to be 100% safe if I could, but the fact is, it’s never going to happen. It’s impossible to be certain we are completely safe. (Also, if it sounds like I am saying we are doomed because the government can’t protect us, I’m not, I’m just saying we should always be on our guard because it is one of the promises the government can’t fully keep.)

There are a lot of examples I can go into besides the one about the government. Who hasn’t ever told your parents that you will clean your room, do your chores, homework etc. after you go to your friend’s house and then don’t do it? Who hasn’t left your homework until the next day to do during reading time so you can play video games or something after you promised yourself at the beginning of the school year you would always do it the night before?

All I’m saying by this is that life is more interesting, and possibly more enjoyable because of the promises we do and don’t keep. Am I saying it is ok to break promises? No. I’m just saying breaking one now and then is not the end of the world because it makes interesting experiences for us as long as it doesn’t hurt anyone in the long run.

2 comments:

ArtfulMind said...

This is a good blog. Everyone needs to learn to stand by their words and treat them as if they are physically binding. If we cannot keep a promise we have not right to make them. However, our minds, aswell as being magnificent tools, are also our enemies. Our memories corrode and decay no matter how memorable something is, we are unable to throw-out out things that we don't want in there ( like our stomachs do :S ), and it can cause things to act without us thinking about it (subconcious habits). We all need to be aware what comes into our heads and out through our mouths, lest we do something we regret.

ArtfulMind said...

oops

"...cause *us* to act..."