This week I do not really have a definite thought that I want to go on, so I am going to write about a couple of things that I have been thinking about lately.
This week was Thanksgiving. The main things that people think of when someone says Thanksgiving are: long weekend, turkey, feast, giving thanks, football, etc. Of course everyone is excited for a long weekend, who doesn’t love to sleep in and relax rather than working or going to school? And at Thanksgiving we always have turkey and a big feast, it is almost the biggest thing that Thanksgiving is about, although it probably shouldn’t be, and neither should football. Everybody says at Thanksgiving “I am so thankful for everything I have.” Well, truth be told, most people are thankful for everything they have, or at least most of what they have. So whoever says that they are thankful for everything they have is a good person, because they are really grateful at least in that moment, but it does not seem like their thoughts are really on being thankful for the whole time. They go and watch football or do something else like that. I don’t see anything wrong with this; weekends are meant for having a lot of fun. I am pretty sure though, that while they are watching football they are probably not thinking about how blessed they are. I think that all of us, me included, should try during the next Thanksgiving season and the rest of the year to stop every ten minutes or so and name one thing that we are glad we have. This may be easier said than done, but I hope that we can at least try.
One other thing I have been thinking about is something I have never really realized before, but is sort of interesting if you ponder it for a while. There are people out there that I have never met before that may become my best friend, might teach me something that I will remember forever, might save my life even. I don’t know who they are, but I will meet them someday. I realized that when I was four years old I didn’t know most of my friends that I have now. There were little four year olds running around living their own little lives that would someday become my friends, they were out there and I didn’t even know it. They had their own lives, challenges, and they had good times and bad times just like I did. They didn’t know I existed, I didn’t know they existed, but now we are friends. I know this sounds stupid but I just haven’t realized before that there are people whose lives will cross with mine somehow, either I will move to a new area or they will or I will meet them at a party or something and my life might be different from that point on because I met them. Probably not, but I know that my life would be enormously different had I not moved to Layton seven years ago and met all my current friends. Would my friend’s lives be dramatically different if I hadn’t moved here? What I am saying doesn’t make any sense now that I read over it, but it is just such a weird thing if you do understand it!
Sunday, November 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That is weird to think about. Sometimes we might think that the only people that exist are people that we know. It's hard to comprehend all of the billions of other people on the earth!
I think that people really should pay more attention to what they are thankful for. Helping strangers could be more important then we think.
I like your thoughts about the friends to be part, does that mean that our lives are predestined? All laid out already? All we have to do is find the way we want, quantum physics!
It may be lame to comment on my own post... but when I reread the part about meeting people who I havent met who will influence me forever, wow it really struck me. Its been two years since I wrote these words but already I have met one person whom I know has changed and will continue to change my life for the better, forever. I didn't know he existed when I wrote these words! And already my prediction has been fullfilled. Just thought it was cool :D
Post a Comment