Every season my family and I have different projects. We have recently started to make the transition from summer projects to our autumn projects. I love this time of year, but things can get a little hectic around my house. One major thing that we do as autumn arrives is put up our Halloween decorations, this includes every wall hanging in the shape of a witch, skeleton or goblin; every pumpkin shaped figurine must find a place in our living room; and every stick on leaf must be firmly pasted on our window. We did all this last week and had loads of fun doing so, but it took us three days to complete all of it. That is how much stuff we have.
Another thing my family is doing this year is we are building a new deck in our backyard, not an easy task as I have recently learned. It is even harder since we are trying to get the whole thing put up by winter so we don't have to work in the snow. I thought that to build a deck it was basically digging a few holes, sticking a few posts in the ground, measuring a few feet, then laying boards. I was completely wrong in that assumption. To make a deck, it involves hours of digging holes, pouring concrete into the holes, measuring and re-measuring different boards, cutting those boards, lifting those heavy boards, and screwing in hundreds of tiny screws. Through all our hard work, which took place for many hours on Saturday in the rain, we have the frame of a deck! It actually looks like all those boards and holes and screws will become a deck! So that was our great accomplishment of the week.
Here is another thing we do every year, we can various fruits and put them in our storage room to enjoy for winter, and for most of them we all work together in the canning process to make it a short experience. Grape juice is the exception, only my mom knows how to make grape juice. So for the past two and a half weeks she has stood in the kitchen and made grape juice whenever she gets the chance. I absolutely love grape juice so I am really glad she does this. All in all, we have a ton of autumn projects as you can see from these past few paragraphs.
Ok so this is off topic, but to me, when I view the school year, I see it in little increments, there is the September increment, that one is the beginning, the part that I look back on and say “wow, I did not know what I was doing back then, I was still getting used to the new grade, new teachers and all together going to school again.” During the September time period it also feels like the beginning of school will never end and the time where you are “starting school” will fade away and the time of being “in school” will finally begin. Thank goodness it is October! In my odd way of looking at a school year, we have finally advanced from the beginning time frame to the middle time frame, May being the end time frame. I am soooo glad that we are now in school, not starting it. Autumn is fun, but to me it’s mostly fun when the beginning is through and I have adjusted to the stuff it brings in place of summer.
Sunday, October 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment