Saturday, September 23, 2006
Old age is not a curse
Why is everyone these days scared of getting old? As far as I can tell the only time we are excited to age is when we are kids. When you get to the teenage stage you are happy right where you are and do not want to leave it, and then when you turn eighteen you start doing things that only teenagers should be doing, like wearing miniskirts. It is like we are groping for the days when we all had not a care in the world except which party we were going to go to next, or so it seems. Who would not love to be carefree their whole lives? We all love to party, it is plain to see why we want to stay young forever. But the fact is, we will not. Instead of dressing like we are all sixteen and going to parties every night, how about we dress our age? I know this is easy for me to say, since I am still in my sweet fourteens, and having an easy life aside from the mountains of homework we get from school (I guess it is not that bad), but I think that those fifty year old ladies who dress in sun dresses even though they do not have the bodies for them and should have retired them years ago are just putting on a show for the world. Not many women or men can truthfully say that they can still fit into their college jeans. It is the sad truth, and we are all going to have to accept it eventually, whether we like it or not, we will age. And I do not think that that is such a bad thing really, once you are twenty or so you can get married and go on newlywed trips, which sounds like a ton of fun if you ask me. You could also have a family, which sounds like quite an adventure to me, even if it is not a senior trip. And once all those kids are grown you can go back to taking trips with your spouse and you can join those health clubs and go to parties with adults just like in high school. Life has so many different stages that it does not really matter which one you are in, you can still have fun and live the way you would want to. Of course there is the fact that as you age you get that aching back and those weak knees, everyone has those. In this I would say count yourself lucky, at least you are alive. If it you had been born five hundred years ago then you would be dead by the age thirty five. I hope that eventually I will be able to make the switch from youth to adult without too much trauma and pouting. Hardly anyone pouts, but I have seen a few. I also hope that I will not have one of those mid life crisis’s and go berserk like some people do. I think that old age is a golden age, by the time your eighty you have gained so much wisdom you could be a great scholar or something. I think what this all comes down to is that old age is not a curse, it may be the best time of your life, so don’t dread it, look forward to it with as much enthusiasm as you can muster.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Regarding that line about college jeans: I weighed a lot more in college than I do now; in fact, I can get into ONE LEG of the jeans I wore in college. But your point is well taken! Nice work!
That was beautiful!
Post a Comment